A few months ago I purchased a new battery for my laptop and was quite disappointed that within a short period of time, I experienced a severe drop in battery life. As days went by, I noticed that my laptop's fan is doing overtime, even on a power saver plan, so I've decided to open up the patient and see whats going on.
I was not that surprised to find a nice chunk of my dog's hair and dust piled up between the heat sink and the cooling fan. As a result, heat wasn't getting transferred properly and thus the computer kept the cooling fan in "overdrive" all the time and as a result, battery life plummeted.
Here is how it looked before cleaning (apologize for the slight blur in the pictures):
And after I cleaned it up:
Here is my dog, her name is Layla:
And finally, I want to express my sincere thanks to insidemylaptop.com for their guide on how to disassemble an HP 530 notebook, It's an old model, I know, but it still carries me :-)